Monday, December 13, 2010

Other Influences




I think it's important in any creative endeavor to be aware of what's going on in the medium at any given time, but equally or more important to be looking at other things as well. I feel like if I only looked at other comics and comic book artists, I would only be reflecting what is out there already. As many people's work as I enjoy, I make a real effort to be the first me and not the next somebody else.

One of my absolute favorite inspirations is fashion illustration. First I love clothes; especially gorgeous women in said clothes. Second, I think it's naturally a medium that is very aware of where it wants to draw the line between stylization and realism. Photo is such a huge part of that industry that illustration is used to accomplish something very different. Realism in drawing is a bottomless pit; and one that I think a lot of comic art is dangerously close to going straight down. I'm beginning to find that line for myself and I think fashion illustration has helped a lot with that. It's less what we see, and more what we feel about what we see.

No comments:

Post a Comment